In today's edition of Purple Line NOW News, here's what you'll find:
- What's Happening at PLN?
- Happy New Year!
- Happening Along the Purple Line Corridor
- Please Share With Your Baltimore Friends
- Construction Updates and Project Features
- Our Top Ten Purple Line Stories of 2023!
Share This Newsletter
WHAT'S HAPPENING AT PLN?
Happy New Year!
The wait is over! Our annual Top Ten List is below, so keep on reading!
But, first we want to let you know that we will have the final results of our matching campaign for you in the next edition of Purple Line NOW News. In the meantime, we want to thank EVERYONE who donated during the campaign! We are astounded by the generosity that abounds in our Purple Line NOW community and grateful to all who support us in so many ways.
Our need is ongoing, so if you missed the matching campaign, please know that your donation any time of year in any amount is welcomed and necessary for us to continue our work. You can easily donate by clicking the Purple "Donate" button below.
Thank you from all of us here at Purple Line NOW!
HAPPENING ALONG THE PURPLE LINE CORRIDOR
Please Share With Your Baltimore Friends
On behalf of the Baltimore City House Delegation’s Transportation Subcommittee, Delegate Robbyn Lewis invites you to the City for All Forum on January 27, 2024. Let’s envision a transportation future that is healthy, accessible, reliable, sustainable and equitable for all! This first-of-its kind public event is open to all residents of Baltimore city and metro region. The vibe will be positive, respectful, forward-looking, optimistic and open-hearted. Participants can join in-person or virtually.
Pre-registration is required. Click here to sign up and share your vision!
DATE: Saturday 27 January 2024
TIME: 11am – 2pm
VENUE: Morgan State University, Earl G. Graves School of Business Auditorium, Rm. 104
ADDRESS: 4100 Hillen Road, Baltimore, MD 21218
We all want a transportation network that delivers fast and reliable access to jobs, school, health care and recreation for all, regardless of age, race, income or physical ability. We can have this! Learn about planned improvements, like the Frederick Douglass Passenger Rail Tunnel and Mondawmin Transit Hub Upgrades. And lend your voice to make even more projects possible - join us!
CONSTRUCTION UPDATES & PROJECT FEATURES
Our Top Ten Purple Line Stories of 2023
As we have been doing since Purple Line NOW News debuted, our team gets together to look at the top stories that made our list for the past year! Without further delay, here are the Top Ten Purple Line happenings of 2023, in no particular order, that landed on our radar over the previous twelve months:
1) Throughout the Purple Line corridor, an iconic visual of progress has begun to pepper the landscape -- TRACKS! Over 1,500 linear feet of track has been laid in a variety of areas, including at the Operations and Maintenance Facility. After so many months of underground utility relocation, track installation is one of the many signs that the Purple Line is well on its way to opening day!
2) You may have seen the news regarding Gov. Moore's announcement regarding cuts to make up for a deficit in the transportation budget. We were pleased to note that those cuts will not have immediate implications for Purple Line construction, but finding a sustainable funding approach is critical for the larger health of transit in our state and larger Metro funding challenges.
3) Although the Talbot Avenue Bridge is slated to open very soon, we were delighted to see a ceremonial walk across the bridge between the Lyttonsville and Woodside communities back in November. When the bridge opens to the public, the event will surely be near the top of the Top Ten list!
4) Did you know the underground utility relocation phase of building the Purple Line is one of the largest utility relocation efforts in the country? While underground utility relocation isn’t nearly as fun to write about as hoisting bridges, we understand how important it was and excited to hear during the Community Advisory Team meetings this fall, they are nearly complete!
5) This fall we learned, in a delightful sign of progress, that station canopies are being installed! Station canopies will provide shade and shelter at most of the stations and truly bring home the vision set out in the artwork we have been eyeing for years. The first to go up was at the Riverdale North Station (which will also be the first station to be completed.)
6) Not all happenings are good news, unfortunately. One of the biggest stories of the year happened in July when MTA and PLTP requested approval from the Board of Public Works for a “modification to the Purple Line Public-Private Partnership (P3) Agreement to formally extends the contractual deadline for achieving Revenue Service Availability to Spring 2027.”
7) Want a breathtaking sign of progress? One of the most visible signs of progress occurred in January when the multi-use pedestrian bridge over Connecticut Avenue was installed during the wee hours of the night. According to the Purple Line Team, the 190k-pound structure was placed at 3 a.m. while most people slept!
8) The Operations and Maintenance Facility (OMF) is up and running and fully operational. Soon, the facility and the testing tracks will welcome the new rail cars waiting to be delivered!
9) Blasting began and the final depth of 130 feet was reached for the Bethesda elevator shaft back in the spring of 2023.
10) For 2023, we found the uptick in construction across the Purple Line corridor one of the most exciting things to see after a long year of gearing up! Presently, there are 60 active construction sites with over 1,100 workers bringing the project to life. MTA reports that the project is over the halfway point at 58% completion. Want to see the progress in photos?! Here’s a terrific video that captures the sensational work being done throughout the alignment.
As we look forward into 2024 for even more signs of progress -- rail cars arriving at the OMF, bridges opening, more canopies installed -- we are incredibly excited to inch our way toward taking that first ride!